Friday, December 10, 2010

Life before and after kids

Before having kids, I could just grab my keys and head out the door if I needed something from the store.  Now things are a little different.  My mental checklist goes a little something like this:
  • Are both kids fed and changed?  (If not, this will add 10-30 minutes to our leave time)
  • Evaluate if our outing will have us back in time for naps and feedings
  • Get shoes (and possibly jacket) on kid #1
  • Put kid #2 in car carrier
  • Make sure I have pacifier for kid #2
  • Grab a snack and/or toy for kid #1 to keep him busy in the store, but don't let him see me grab it or he will want it now.
  • Walk out to the car and put kid #2 in car seat.  (Kid #1 will probably be following and end up playing on the back patio or try running down the alley.)
  • Wrangle kid #1 and put him in car seat.  He'll probably start requesting stuff he sees on the car floor - cars, ball, book.  Figure out what he's asking for and make sure he's settled in.
  • Go back to house, grab purse and keys, lock the door.
  • Get in car and head to store!
I think this is one of the causes of "mommy brain".  What was once a simple task, now involves 10+ more steps, so I'm lucky if I remember anything else.  Which is why I always have a fear of losing my keys or locking them in the car.  I'm always hustling and distracted.  That would be a nightmare! - to be done grocery shopping with a full cart, two kids who are ready for lunch and naps, and no way to get home.  So I obsessively check to make sure I have them.

So things definitely take longer these days, but I love this phase of life.  I wouldn't trade being a mom to these kids for anything.  It's the only job in the world I would do for free!  Unless someone was hiring a massage tester and had me to go around to all of the spas and try them out...I would do that for free.  hehe.

Picture time!




 


1 comment:

Hannah Andrews said...

Well said! :) I have a constant fear of locking the kids IN the car! I have to keep telling myself that nathan can unlock it though.
Love the pictures!