Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Proud mother alert

Ok, I know all parents think their kid is a genius.  I think it comes from watching them learn new things, which is so fascinating.  It really is remarkable that after being on this planet for just a year, they pick up so much.  And having no other frame of reference for other children's learning abilities, I think, "Wow, he is so smart!" (although, I'm sure he is just an average kid, but don't burst my bubble.  hehe).

His newest thing that amazes me is when he is playing with his books on his bookshelf.  I'll say, "Can you find the book that says..." and then I'll start reciting the book.  (I'm sure I have at least 20 children's books completely memorized by now.  That happens from reading them every day for a year.)  Well, this smart kiddo will hear me reciting the book, and he'll search the bookshelf and find the right one!  Seriously!  Do they have scholarships for this stuff?  Because I'm amazed.

It's also fun to hear him say new words.  I don't think I can count mama and dada as his first words.  He's been babbling those for a long time, and it's hard to know when he actually started understanding the meaning of them.
But as of right now, his vocabulary consists of:
ball - "bah"
car - "kah"  He makes a car noise whenever he sees one or plays with one.  It sounds like growling.  :)
puppy - "puh-puh" or "buh-buh"
baby - actually sounds like baby
hi/hey - makes his voice go from high to low like we do

I think he tries to say other words as he point to objects, but it usually ends up sounding like one of the words above.

And because every post is better with a picture:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, he looks like a big boy now! priceless expression, great picture. hope y'all are doing great.

Unknown said...

Great picture! I had a good time watching him in the nursery a couple Sundays ago. He ate his food like a champ and we had fun playing. He's a sweet kid.

Preben and Ellen said...

i am also amazed at how much they already know. it is such a miracle! he and noah are doing almost exactly the same things! even the same words :) i can't believe how fast they are growing! caleb sure is a cutie! :)