Tuesday, August 31, 2010

All Nah-tur-al, Baby

My friends Hannah and Erin have had quite the influence on me lately.  I've always considered myself a somewhat natural person when it came to health.  I mean, I was all about natural childbirth, breastfeeding,  I don't like to take antibiotics/meds or even tylenol unless I absolutely have to, and I ate healthy overall.  Kind of a "let nature do it's thing" attitude.  But Hannah and Erin are a wealth of knowledge and have taught me stuff that has taken this natural thing to a whole new level.

David and I started eating healthier last year - less processed food and sugar were the main changes.  It seems when I got pregnant, we didn't do as well because I just had to cope with nausea and tiredness.   But we did enjoy the benefits of eating better - more energy and weight loss.  The things I've been trying lately have more of a focus on internal health - the stuff you can't always see or feel, but it'll make you healthier in the long-run.  Mainly, eating real food and eliminating yucky chemicals. 

Some new things I've tried lately-
  • making my own cleaning products
  • making my own deodorant - love it!  Better results than store-bought in my opinion.  No unpleasant odor so far.
  • making my face cleanser - again, love this!
  • making soap (I did it once with Hannah)
  • drinking raw milk - yummy.  I think I'll do this more after baby comes.  I don't think it's risky, but I was extra careful with my eating when pregnant with Caleb, so I'm trying to do the same for this pregnancy because most "experts" advise against it. 
  • making my own yogurt in the crockpot
  • using raw honey
  • eating organic raw cheese
  • incorporating more organic produce
  • less processed food (hard one!)
  • along the same lines, cutting out as much high-fructose corn syrup and soybean oil as possible
  • making my own chicken broth
  • eating grass-fed beef
  • eating pastured eggs
  • using coconut oil and olive oil instead of vegetable and canola - I don't use much oil anyway in my cooking. 
We're not doing all of the above on a regular basis, we're just trying it out and incorporating it more.  There are like a million other things I'd like to go natural with from toothpaste, to detergent, to eliminating plastics.  We'll see how much of it sticks and how far we go.

David always teases me.  He thinks we're going to end up living like the Amish one day.  Ha!  Probably not.  There are some things I just can't do without right now - disposable diapers, a microwave and cereal are a few that come to mind.

Thanks Hannah and Erin for all your tips!

Here are some pictures just for fun.

pretty eggs

6lb jar of raw honey.  Yum!

soap

I used old baby food jars for my face cleanser and deodorant.  I found some cute labels online I'm going to use to eventually decorate the jars and make them look cute.  

9 comments:

Hannah Andrews said...

Love this post! love your pictures! And thanks for the shout out :) love you!

Alicia said...

How fun, Lisa! This is right up my alley, and Chris just shakes his head as well. =) I have actually been looking into alternative deodorants lately, and I am definitely trying out your link! And I'm interested in how you like the crockpot yogurt. That's one thing I'm hoping to try soon. It's hard to start to incorporate things now that we have two kids and VERY little time, so good for you for getting a head start. It will be so much easier to continue things you're already used to.
Thanks for sharing!

David / Lisa Domine said...

Hey Alicia!
I really like the yogurt. It makes so much! It's a little thinner than when you buy it in the tub. But it's great for smoothies. :)
For the deodorant, I use unrefined coconut oil, so it has a nice smell to it. You can buy the refined probably for a little cheaper and add some essential oils for a nice scent.
I'm hoping I'll be able to continue doing these things and incorporating more when baby #2 comes. I'm always impressed from your blogs how much you accomplish with two kids!
:)

amanda said...

i've been eating a glassful of frozen raw milk most every night for the past month. so good! of course, a little vanilla and sugar make it even better. :-)

the laundry detergent is super easy to make and it works just as well as store bought for way less money.

we made the switch from plastic storage containers to glass about 5 years ago because i was tired of throwing away the ruined ones. we still have all we started with and won't be going back.

do you like the soap? does it come out cheaper to make it?

enjoy your natural self! :-)

David / Lisa Domine said...

Hey Amanda,
What kind of glass storage containers do you use? I was just going to get a couple Pyrex sets and start tossing all my plastic.

The soap is only cheaper than the other kinds of natural castile soap, like Dr. Bronner's. But it's not cheaper than say Irish Spring or Dove.

I bought all the stuff to make laundry detergent. I just have to use up all my old stuff first - I hate to waste!

Man, I bet I could learn a lot from you too!
:)

amanda said...

i don't know about that. i'm way more practical than 'with it'. i didn't even know people bought chicken broth. if you need broth, you boil a chicken. :-)

we have the pyrex ones with navy lids. oddly enough, jc penney runs insanely good specials on sets. just have to keep an eye out. we tried the anchor ones but the lids don't fit well. before z started eating multiple foods at one time, i used these containers to carry his food and they never spilled. and the really do last.

are you going to do the dry detergent or the liquid? a close friend uses the liquid and we both just tried the dry. she said the liquid goes much further and dissolves better than the dry so i'm going to try the liquid soon. i'm with you - no waste!

thanks for the info on soap!

the herzogs said...

LOVE YOU! and not just because you gave me a shout out :-) just because i love you. :-) it's so fun to talk about all this and have friends who don't think i'm absolutely nuts. oh, and your pictures look so artistic! you can make a simple jar of oil and deodorant look so pretty!

R said...

Your photography looks quite artistic these days! Way to go! And your endeavours into homemade household products truly amazes me!!

Unknown said...

Lisa! Thanks so much for including me! I am sooo excited that you are doing the natural route. You and your little ones will be way better off in the future. I have tons of resources for that natural route so if you want some info on anything let me know and I can send it your direction. What is your view on vaccines? If you can keep spreading the word about the natural route I will do my best on this side of the Rockies :) and maybe we can get somewhere. Miss you tons Lisa!