Saturday, September 25, 2010

Beach Day in Galveston

Summer lasted a little longer for us - we hit the beach today to soak in the last bits of warm weather.  We also wanted to have Caleb experience his first beach trip without the 100+ degree weather, and we got to celebrate his Grammy's birthday (she LOVES the beach).

We couldn't have had better weather!  It was warm and breezy.  It was so nice, I didn't even need to rent an umbrella.  Usually, I wouldn't be able to sit in the sun for 2 1/2 hours, but it wasn't bad.  The beach was pretty empty, the water was nice and warm, the sand was soft, and the water was clean. 



Caleb laughed the whole way to Galveston because Uncle Danny was sitting in the back with him.  We got to the beach around 9:30.  Caleb wasn't too sure if he liked the sand and moving waves at first, but then he got used to it and had fun.  But he didn't really smile or laugh much.  He was just concentrating on digging in the sand with his shovel and buckets, or pointing at the helicopters, or chasing birds.  So I didn't really get any smiling pictures. 




At one point I turned around and saw David and Danny tossing Caleb back and forth in the water.  I think this kind of craziness is what my future holds with a household of boys.  They said Caleb loved it.  I was just praying as I watched my baby get tossed 5 feet into the air.  We were definitely entertaining the other people around us. 





We stayed on the beach until about 12:15.  Then we went to lunch and Caleb fed himself fish sticks and french fries dipped in cocktail sauce.  He sat and ate really well.  We ate on the second story patio of the restaurant, so Caleb got to watch all the cars and birds go by. 


We started heading back home around 1:45...waaaay past his nap time.  He tried keeping his eyes open in the car, and he lasted about 3 minutes - then he was out the rest of the way home.  Poor guy has trouble sleeping in his new car seat though because it sits straight up and doesn't recline like his old one, so his head kept bobbing or was collapsed all the way on his chest.  We did a transfer to the crib when we got home, and he slept until 4:45.  So he was definitely tired from all the fun!


So now that our beach day is done, fall is officially here for us.  And there are two ways we're celebrating that tonight - my first pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks and watching college football.  :)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I still haven't had my first pumpkin spice yet ... I think I'm waiting for the baby to come ... but I can't wait!

The Engers said...

great pics! we also have that problem with the car seat head bobbing, i hate that! can't wait to meet little nathan! :) you look great lisa! :)

R said...

LOL!! Caleb has no idea how lucky he is to have a cool dad & a fun uncle!! As usual, Danny's goin' in for the hoop shot! CRAZY!!!! :-)