Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Happy 3rd Birthday, Caleb!

Caleb is 3!!!!!!!!!!!!


Three years ago we got the most wonderful gift - becoming parents to the greatest boy we could ever imagine.  We always knew Caleb was special.  Don't all parents think that about their kids?  It's true.  Every kid is special.  But we get the privilege of raising Caleb and seeing him grow up.  We get a front row seat to see his cute personality, gifts and talents, and how wonderfully God created him.  He's very compassionate, nurturing with Nathan (sometimes), and very sensitive to others' feelings.  And it's nothing we've done.  He's just that way.  He fills our lives with joy, and makes us smile every night after we tuck him in and talk about all the funny or cute things he did that day. 

Caleb loves to read, sing, play outside, help me with dishes, help me sort socks, and help Daddy with anything.  He loves going to see friends.  He just started to sleep with his bear at bedtime.  He wakes up happy in the morning, but still wakes up crying after almost every nap.  He's learning how to share with Nathan, and also how to manipulate Nathan into playing with something else so he can play with the thing that he wants.  He likes routine.  It's hard to explain his delightful personality in words.  Sometimes David and I talk about how you can't describe how precious he is, you just have to experience it.  I can't convey that cute face he made the other day, or how it felt when he kissed my cheek and hugged my neck.  I can write down the things he says, but not the exact way he says it.

I can't believe how much I've forgotten already in these last three years.  It's really hard to remember Caleb as an infant.  And even when I look at pictures, it's hard to remember holding him and rocking him when he was like that.  Parenting is full of difficult phases, and many times parents look forward to the next phase of growing up.  But lately, I'm very thankful for "right now."  Because I know it'll be gone before I know it!  Man, my boys getting older sure makes me sappy!!!!  :)

We successfully navigated through the "terrible twos."  While, I'm sure he is on the more compliant side of the spectrum, we still had lots of battles.  I'm going to let him know that now that he is three, he has to go easy on me...I only have 9 more months until Nathan turns two! 

Here are some pics from his birthday party day.  :)

Caleb helped Daddy make birthday pancakes for breakfast.


Daddy made one in the shape of a 3 for Caleb!

Nathan liked them too.

Opening presents.

Thomas stuff - always a hit!

This might sound kind of lame, but one of the presents we gave Caleb was our old digital camera.  It was David's from college.  The display screen on the back is so small.  But it still works, and he loves it!  He took pictures of everything.  I'm thinking of occasionally doing some blog posts of Caleb's journeys documented with his pictures.  He has a great picture-taking stance that cracks us up.

He picked a Cars theme again.  :)

He loved everyone singing to him.

He actually blew out all the candles!  with 3+ tries  :)

Family pic.

Mmmm.

Taking more pictures.

Riding his new bike the next day.

Playing with his new 3D puzzle.  Hehe.  I'm pretty sure the makers of these glasses could have made them cooler, but they wanted to give parents a good laugh.  :)

No comments: