Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Where do we begin?

Man, I guess I didn't keep up too well with our blogging during July.  Where did the month go?

Caleb keeps cracking us up.  He is so funny.  But we think he saves it just for us.  When we're at play groups, he is usually pretty quiet and reserved.  Kind of like us!  My parents always said I have an alter-ego that is meant to be on stage because I loved to entertain them growing up - showtunes / Saturday Night Live comedy / bootyshakin'.  But my silliness is usually only reserved for a few special, close people.  So it seems like Caleb is showing those tendencies too. 

He learned how to snap his fingers last night.  I was singing a song from "Singing in the Rain" while opening mail, and I was snapping my fingers.  Then I looked over, and he was swaying back and forth humming along and snapping his fingers.  hehe.  He's copying a lot of things we do.  It's funny to see his interpretation of what we do.

He was reading his book "Goodnight Gorilla" to himself the other day.  The book hardly has any words, so you have to elaborate when you're reading it.  When it gets to a page in the dark where the lady opens her eyes, I always say "Blink, blink."  And I noticed him saying it too while he was reading it to himself. 

When playing with other kids his age, we notice he tends to get beat up on and pushed around a bit.  He never fusses or complains.  He's kind of just like, "What are you doing to me?"  Then he'll just try to move on and do his own thing.  We think he's a lover, not a fighter.

He's a pretty compliant kid.  He listens well most of the time and doesn't give us much trouble.  I'd say our biggest struggle would be high chair manners.  He'll still throw things off the tray or smash food if he doesn't want to eat it.  He's not very patient waiting for his food.  Many times I'll let him play with a car or book while I feed him to keep him busy.

He's still a slightly picky eater.  He'll eat sandwiches, soups, most dinners; he still won't eat fruits or veggies by themselves.  I did a happy dance when he ate 4 small bites of strawberry and some grapes the other day.  He'll eat anything pureed, so that's how we're still getting the fruits and veggies in him.  Another problem is that when he feeds himself something, I can only put like 1 or 2 pieces on his tray at a time.  Otherwise he'll stuff too much in his mouth without swallowing, and then he'll spit it all out.  So I have to help him pace himself.  He's also very picky about temperature.  If something that is hot gets cool, he won't eat it.  All of this makes packing a meal to take to church very challenging...which is why we usually stick with purees for church.

He chipped a tiny piece off of his front tooth after a little fall on the kitchen tile.  Poor guy.  You can't tell unless you look closely.  Luckily these aren't the permanent ones!

He's saying lots of words now...probably that only I can understand.  But he says "tea" very clearly when he tries to steal my green tea every morning.

I think that's all for now.  Here are some recent pics:

Caleb playing on his playset.

I love that smashed face!

Caleb reading Sunday comics on his stoop - a weekly tradition.

Caleb was helping me pick out new glasses.  This might be a peek into
the future since both David and I had glasses at a young age.

How we found him sleeping one night.  Comfy, huh?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We have the same fruit/veggie problem with Emory. The only fresh fruits she eats are bananas and grapes which she calls berries. She will eat canned mandarin oranges and pears. She will eat any furit or vegetable babyfood/puree. But put that same veggie or fruit in front of her and she will spit it out. She will try a bite then spit it out and say yuck. I think its a texture thing!

Preben and Ellen said...

love the update! very impressed with the finger snapping!! and we're right there with you on the food issues.

the herzogs said...

i love the sleeping position :-)

R said...

That Caleb is SO cute!! I like the smooshed face the BESTEST!!!